Also, with full-spectrum extracts, you are able to access a wider berth of terpenes, as well as other components, such as flavonoids, proteins, esters, and more. This feels like you are getting more bang for your buck and gives you access to a host of benefits from each, rather than just one or two. So, what are a few things you should know prior to looking to get started with full-spectrum extracts from a local weed shop in Markham and Vaughan GTA? Keep reading to find out!
1) The Entourage Effect
One of the main reasons that these extracts are becoming a desirable cannabis option is because of the multiple uses it has from a medical and therapeutic perspective. When cannabis compounds work together, it creates what is known as ‘the entourage effect’. This is the theory that when used in tandem, the different components of the plant combine to create an enhanced experience, increasing the active substances, such as THC and CBD.
Think of it like ordering your favorite meal at a restaurant. Sure, your main dish is great, but getting to enjoy all the sides and flavors at once makes it truly an experience worth remembering. The same concept applies here, only with cannabis instead!
2) Extraction Can Be Difficult
However, if there is one thing that is true about full-spectrum cannabis extracts, it is that they are extremely difficult to produce. This is because while you want to harness as many of the desirable compounds as possible, you also want to purge anything unnecessary. There are some refinement techniques that you can do to help with the process, however, they often strip extracts of some of the more desirable features, such as terpenes and flavonoids.
Here are a few extraction methods. Keep in mind that each one is different and is used to achieve a different goal. As an example, a live resin extract taken from a fresh cannabis plant will have a totally different profile from one taken from dried plant material.
- For this method, butane or a butane/propane blend is used to create full-spectrum extracts. By doing this, the extraction can be tweaked a little. Hydrocarbon gas is cooled and then liquefied before being passed over raw plant matter. From there, the desirable compounds from the plant are dissolved and the resulting solution can be refined further using different techniques, including winterization and dewaxing.
Supercritical CO2 Extraction:
- Temperature and pressure play a huge role in supercritical CO2 extraction. This method creates phase changes in CO2, altering it from a gas to instead taking on qualities indicative of both a gas and a liquid. It can easily seep into porous solids thanks to its gas-like viscosity and low surface tension.
- By making some modifications to both temperature and pressure, you are able to adjust the CO2 to create the exact environment needed to extract only the most desirable compounds of the plant. Though this method does call for some complex pieces of equipment, it requires little to no post-processing, which is an added benefit in contrast to some of the other extraction methods.
- The whole purpose of full-spectrum extracts is to take out any unwanted components. This can include plant lipids that have a negative effect on flavor or even the quality of vapor when using a vaping device. On the same hand, however, concentrates containing lipids, such as rosin, can be considered full-spectrum. Rosin is created by squeezing resin from starting material using both heat and pressure.
- The main upside of this extraction method is that it doesn’t require the use of a solvent and therefore, is considered to be a relatively safe option. However, since heat is still involved, some worry that the desirable components of the plant will be lost during the process.
3) Where To Buy Full-Spectrum Cannabis Products
If you have your internet browser pulled up your phone or laptop and you search for ‘weed shops near me in Richmond Hill’, without a doubt, our location at From The Earth will pop up. In our shop, we sell a wide array of quality cannabis products, including those made with full-spectrum extracts!
Or, if you are someone who enjoys vaping, grab a live resin cartridge. This gives you the same effect as the resin badder, only this time in a convenient and discreet vape cartridge. This is the perfect addition for any vape enthusiast!
Another great option for a potent, full-spectrum product is by opting for terp sauce. Terp sauce refers to the runny, terpene-rich concentrate that comes from when cannabinoids and terpenes separate from one another, leaving behind a watery mixture of aromatic terpenes. It resembles a substance that is a bit less dense than honey, pouring out like sauce.